Monday, December 3, 2007

Why I Mourn Sean Taylor


I am a life long Cowboys fan. I have always hated the Redskins. Next to the cowboys winning, nothing is better than watching the Redskins lose, and lose big. Hating the Redskins is one of things I love about being a Cowboys fan, just like Redskins fans love to hate the Cowboys.
Nobody personified this love-hate better than Sean Taylor. He was from the U. He spat in player’s faces. He hit late. He pulled guns on people. He was easy to hate.
I also hated him so much because he scared me. He had an inhuman combination of speed and power. He patrolled the field like a caged panther, ready to unleash on any gazelle that was dumb enough to extend for the ball. He played with that palpable energy which great defenders have, and which is not seen enough. His intensity inspired teammates and excited fans. The scariest thing was he was in the upswing of his career! At only 24 he was just realizing how great he could be. It seemed inevitable he would be a lifelong Redskin and join the great skins in the ring of honor after a Hall of Fame career. In an era when there isn’t an overabundance of reasons for Skins fans to celebrate, he was someone you could point to and say, “That’s a Washington Redskin.” He was easy to love.
I rooted against Sean Taylor. I cheered when he got beat and sulked when he made a monster hit. I hated Sean Taylor the football player, but with that hate came respect, the respect a worthy opponent demands. I gave it grudgingly, knowing deep down I hated him so much because I wished he was a Cowboy.
To be a Redskins or Cowboys fan you have to hate the other. It's mandatory But a good rivalry has two sides. The rival must be worthy of being hated. Sean Taylor was one of the reasons the Redskins were worth hating. The greatest rivalry in the NFL has lost one of its greatest forces. That is why I mourn Sean Taylor.

No comments: