Thursday, April 16, 2009

Scott’s Summer Movie Preview

Summer brings us lots of treats: Sunshine, grilling, vacations, and blockbuster movies. I tend to shy away from the $200 theatre tickets and wait patiently for Netflix to bring the movies to me (I just got Pineapple Express after a month of waiting). But there are some particularly intriguing movies in this year’s summer crop which just scream big screen. So, after checking out the list this less than busy afternoon, here are 5 movies I’m looking forward to.

1. Terminator Salvation (May 21)

I’ve been waiting for this movie since I heard Christian Bale was in it (I’ve had a crush on him since American Psycho). The Terminator Trilogy is all about trying to win a future war between man and machines. Now the movie’s about the actual war. No more whiny kids who can’t act. Say goodbye to Arnold with a coffin full of guns against the LAPD. We finally get to see what the big deal is with John Conner and, as a bonus , we get to find out “"how Michael Biehn became so awesome that Linda Hamilton would sleep with him." -Anton Yelchin, who will portray Kyle Reese in TS. Oh yeah, and then there was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXVuy0h29c

2. Public Enemies (July 1)

Christian Bale (is there a theme here?) and Johnny Depp star in this drama about John Dillenger (Depp) and the guy chasing him (Bale) It’s been a while since there’s a been a good mob movie, and probably longer since there was one with this level of talent. I’m going to go back to 1997’s Donnie Brasco, which starred Al Pacino and, guess who, Johnny Depp (as well as a convincingly straight Anne Heche). If Bale can bring back his “I’m going to do whatever’s right because it’s the right thing to do” attitude from 3:10 to Yuma this could be another one to add to the collection.

3. Inglorious Basterds (August 21)

Other than Christian Bale, my favorite actor is probably Brad Pitt. Team him up with Quentin Tarantino in a movie about Nazi killers and I’m sold. Apparently Tarantino announce he was making this movie before Grindhouse and Kill Bill, which scare me a little. But I’m interested to see what he does with a serious war movie, which should be quite a contrast from his smirking, overly violent norm.

4. G.I. Joe (August 7)

This movie could be really bad. Odds are it will be. But given the modern trend of making somewhat believable action movies (Borne trilogy, new Bond movies, new Batman movies) it’s got a shot. Plus G.I. Joe’s are just diesel. Each ones different. They got an Indian, a ninja, a guy that just likes to blow stuff up. Throw in some sex appeal (Rachel Nichols) and I’m willing to give it a chance. And hey, if it sucks, you always got the PSA’s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OPr_QxoFg

5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 26)

I’m not a big Transformers fan. I never watched the show. I didn’t even like the first one. But after watching the Dark Knight on IMAX, I think I could enjoy 70 foot tall cars turning into things and kicking the crap out of each other.

No comments: