Thursday, January 10, 2008

Most Underrated Actors

For every Yin there is a Yang, and for every Keanu Reeves there is a Christian Bale. This is the list of people that make me hate the people from the most overrated list, because if those people would just stop trying to pleasure me in ways that some might enjoy, but I do not, these people would have more time/resources/opportunities to love me down right. This list is pretty simple. These are people who might not be the first names when you think of blockbuster movie star, but they should be. I will see a movie they are in without knowing anything else (Ok, maybe not Charlize Theron, but She’s close). I would also like to point out since this is about good acting there will be fewer chances for hilarity, as comedy is based on pointing out the faults of others.

5. Johnny Depp

Johnny is low on this list because he is a big star. But looking at all the movies he’s done and all the risks he’s taken, he might be the best actor of this era. How can the guy from Donnie Brasco, Blow, and Pirates of the Caribbean be the same guy in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, and The Ninth Gate? You never know if he’s going to do some off the wall artsy film or a major Hollywood blockbuster, and that’s comcastic. I think he works with Tim Burton a little too much, but he’s Johnny Depp so he’ll do whatever the hell he wants. According to IMDB.com he’s rumored to be on for Sin City 2 and 3. CommenayEAha!

4. Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron is great because she is beautiful and she can act. She proved she has the sex appeal with the Italian Job and Aeon Flux. Now watch her go crazy in The Devil’s Advocate (“Shhh…do you hear that” Keanu:”No.” I give her credit for performing well with Keanu Reeves in the room), be a full out homicidal maniac in Monster, and throw in North Country for a serious drama. She also gets points for playing a mildly retarded girl on Arrested Development. I would take her over any actress in Hollywood for any given role. She isn’t the hottest of the hot, but she can actually act and she’s hotter than Hilary Swank.
Side note: She was in The Astronaut’s wife with Jonny Depp (#5)? How have I not heard of this movie?

3. Willem Dafoe

I love this guy. He really only plays side characters, but he is really good at it. I was about to shoot myself in the head with a Desert Eagle .50 before he showed up in the English Patient. Platoon: I’d serve for him. Boondock Saints: Coolest gay guy ever. The Life Aquatic: “Thanks. Thanks a lot for not picking me” (hilarious). I didn’t even recognize him in Shadow of the Vampire (If you haven’t seen this check it out. John Malkovich is in it. Maybe he should be on this list…hmmm). I don’t know if he could reach the same level of awesomness as the lead, but I’d love to find out. Step aside, Nick Cage, Willem Dafoe coming through!

2. Christian Bale

Christian Bale was number 1 for a long time, but after Batman Begins the world realized not only can this guy act, but he’s diesel (and what a body. Sorry, but Bale is number 1 on the men who bring out my homosexual tendencies list. Brad Pitt is #2, and Rosie O’Donnell is a close third). But before Batman he was in some great movies not a lot of people know about. American Psycho and Equilibrium are two of my favorites, and neither of those movies are as good with anyone else (I just found out Leonardo DiCaprio was originally cast for American Psycho. Just the thought of someone other than Bale in that makes me want to feed a cat to an ATM). The Machinist isn’t great, but he is great in it (the whole movie is basically “wow, he is a really good actor,” but the plot is so-so). He also proves, just as there can be bad actors in good movies, there can be good acting in Bad Movies. He played a good bad guy in Shaft and was good in The New World despite that movie being utterly pointless. Since Batman he’s kept the ball rolling with The Prestige, Rescue Dawn and 3:10 to Yuma, probably 3 of the 25 or so best movies in the last year and a half. I cannot wait for The Dark Knight.

1. Daniel Day-Lewis

There are 2 big reasons Daniel Day-Lewis isn’t showered with rose petals when he walks the streets (which he should be). He doesn’t make a lot of movies (9 in the last 19 years) and some of them are contemporary Irish themes, so American audiences don’t care. But He’s clearly choosing quality over quantity and his judgment of quality is pretty damn good. He is the only person I can unequivocally say “D-Days in it, it must be good” (Even Christian Bale had Reign of Fire). Look at every movie he has done in the last 2 decades.

My Left Foot: I haven’t seen it but he won an Oscar for it so I’m gonna.

The Last of the Mohicans: I think it’s better than Dances with Wolves. The final scene alone, with D-Day running up a mountain shooting 7ft long rifles on handed is enough to get me ready for the night (When Nike used the LoTM theme in a commercial I almost crapped my pants). It’s my favorite D-Day movie and my favorite Michael Mann movie.

The Age of Innocence: It’s kind of slow but good. It’s one of those movies that makes you hate the Puritan English for the upright morals we inherited from them. Winona Rider hurts it but Michelle Pfeifer makes up for it.

In the Name of the Father: This is a true story about a young Irishman framed for a terrorist bombing in England. The movie follows Lewis over 20 years or so and he does an amazing job showing the maturity of the character. The guy that played Kobayashi in The Usual Suspects is his dad. Good stuff.

The Crucible: Again, Winona tries to destroy this movie but D-Day doesn’t let her. It’s a great adaptation of the play and a good cast (besides shoplifter McGee). “Because it’s my name!” So good.

The Boxer: This is about a boxer in Belfast and the Catholic/Protestant conflict. Like In the name of the Father it didn’t do much in the US but it’s worth checking out.

Gangs of New York: I thought this movie was ok but Lewis steals it with his role as the Butcher. Who pulls off an authentic 19th century New York accent? I mean, who even tries such wild shenanigans? I was pissed he didn’t win best supporting actor.

The Ballad of Jack and Rose: I have never heard of this movie but I found it in the TV listings and am recording it this weekend.

There Will Be Blood: This movie just came out and the reviews I’ve read are gaudy (“best movie of the last few years”, “Lewis is amazing” “This movie is proof Ben Affleck should be hanged for crimes against humanity” (warning: quotes may not have actually come from printed reviews). It hasn’t been released nationally yet but it’s been a long time since I’ve been this excited about a movie.

Honerable Mention: John Malkovich

I almost forgot about Mr. Malkovich. He hasn’t done anything that I’ve seen in a while, but I’ll always watch In the Line of Fire, and he earns a gold star for a side character in a movie with his name in the title.

Honorable Mention: Paul Giamatti

I didn’t know where to put this guy: he’s so different from your stereotypical lead actor. He’s starred in some great small movies (American Splendor and Sideways), but is better known as a side guy (Pig vomit in Private Parts). He’s one of those guys you always like to see in a movie, like Steve Buscemi or Joe Pantoliano. Throw all those guys in a movie, add Willy Dafoe, maybe a Sam Jackson or Chris Walken. Now that’s something worth watching.

That gets me thinking. Here are some other actors who probably could have made this list, but didn’t:

John Torturro- Designated white guy in Spike Lee movies and has some memorable characters in good and not good movies (Quiz Show, The Big Labowski, Rounders, O Brother Where Art Thou, Mr. Deeds).

Joseph Gordon-Levitt-The kid from third rock has made some good movies under the radar. Watch Brick and The Lookout with The Dude himself, Jeff Bridges.

Ralph Feines- People sleep on this guy, but he does high quality work. Shindler’s List, Quiz Show, The English Patient, The Prince of Egypt, Red Dragon, The Constant Gardner.

Val Kilmer-Star of such 80’s classics as Real Genius and Willow, he’s also great in Tombstone, Heat, The Saint, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

1 comment:

Pat R said...

i concur that Christian Bale is a stud. the guy has never not been on top of his game.